In the heart of the Lone Star State exists the city of Austin, Texas: a destination that blends rich traditions with a dynamic and modern flair. Renowned for its music scene, tech influence, and rich culture, this city also boasts a range of top-tier 4-star hotels, draped in strings of fairy lights and echoing with the hum of music spilling out from neon-bathed bars. Austin’s hotel landscape offers something for every traveler. Well-preserved historic buildings with Spanish architecture dot city blocks, a fine contrast with many of the city’s cutting-edge modern establishments.
Regardless of style and appearance, though, each of Austin’s hotels makes an impression and adds a unique touch to the city’s hospitality scene. Visitors can expect a mix of comfort, convenience, the occasional luxury magnate, and plenty of local charm in each stay. Whether you’re sinking into crisp linens in an artfully restored mansion or sipping locally-roasted coffee from a high-rise suite, the best hotels in Austin extend an invitation to partake in a delightful accommodation experience.
Best Hotels in Austin, Texas
Address: 101 Red River St, Austin, TX 78701, United States
Pull back the curtain and step into the Fairmont Austin. This towering hotel scrapes the Texan sky, is surrounded by lush greenery, and commands the reputation of one of the biggest hotels in the city. The grandeur of Fairmont Austin–as spoken to by its impressive stature against the Austin skyline–comes out in the design and layout of each room, filled with fine linens, modern upholstery, and satisfying patterns against a muted color pallet that is occasionally disturbed by an orange headboard or two.
The hotel is home to several dining establishments, such as the Garrison, Room 725, Rules & Regs, and many others. Here, guests can dine in open-concept kitchens and taste New American cuisine, caviar, decadent cocktails, and shareable Italian and Asian favorites.
- Located in the heart of downtown, offering easy access to the city’s best attractions.
- A well-equipped fitness center with inspiring city panoramas.
- Home to 5 different restaurants and bars.
- Surroundings can sometimes get noisy due to the hotel’s central location.
- High-end luxury comes with a premium price.
- The rooftop pool can get crowded during peak season.
Address: 500 E 4th St, Austin, TX 78701, United States
This hotel, with its mosaic-inspired facade blending into the surrounding cityscape, is part of the recognized Hilton Hotels and Resorts brand, as such, upholds the chain’s reputation for comfort, quality, and reliable service. Inside the Hilton Austin, you’ll find Texas charm wrapped up in the rich comfort of rooms paired seamlessly with Austin’s horizon-painting vistas.
Once checked into their rooms, guests can taste the hotel’s culinary soul at Cannon + Belle or relax in the ambiance of the Skyline Spa & Health Club. Yet, one of the most distinctive features of this accommodation is the prized location it holds, being only a short stroll away from the music-fueled nightlife of the 6th Street Entertainment District, the Austin convention center, and the Texas State Capitol.
- Luxurious rooms with commanding city views.
- Unmatched location near key attractions and nightlife.
- Delicious in-house dining options.
- Might be too bustling for guests desiring a calm retreat.
- High-traffic location might mean noise-bleed in lower-level suites.
- Additional precautionary and parking fees.
Address: 98 San Jacinto Blvd, Austin, TX 78701, United States
The Four Seasons Hotel Austin is a classy admixture of velvet and finely-stained mahogany with views stretching across the famed Lady Bird Lake and enjoys a coveted spot on the waterfront. Its picturesque location offers a serene backdrop, while its downtown placement ensures that guests are still located within walking distance of many of Austin’s cultural activities.
This hotel features fantastic amenities, including a holistic spa that offers a range of natural treatments designed for relaxation and rejuvenation–especially after a good, hard workout in the Four Season’s well-appointed fitness center, or a hike-and-bike around some of Lady Bird Lake’s many trails.
- Exceptional lakeside views with incredible sunsets.
- World-class dining options.
- An uncommon salt-water pool.
- Sought-after 5-star status.
- Peak travel times may result in fully booked status, limiting availability/
- Higher price point than other regional accommodations/
Address: 110 E 2nd St, Austin, TX 78701, United States
Welcome to JW Marriott Austin, an elegant hotel with a polished veneer and an excellent location found directly amongst Austin’s downtown city bustle. A variety of amenities are available at this hotel, with multiple outdoor swimming pools, including indoor and outdoor locations–some of which offer views of the city for a relaxing experience, high above the noise of the streets below.
The Veranda at Dean’s, an Italian steakhouse located at the lowest level of the JW Marriot, features happy hour specials in an ivy-laced setting, while the Edge Rooftop offers guests expensive whiskeys and wines to sip on while overlooking Congress Ave and the Texas State Capitol.
- Centrally located with walkable access to Austin’s vibrant nightlife and music scenes.
- Multiple upscale dining venues serving an array of delectable dishes.
- Luxurious rooms with stunning cityscape and sunset views.
- Can be quite bustling during peak hours and weekends.
- High-end experiences may come with equivalent price tags.
- Limited green spaces within the hotel complex.
5. The Driskill
Address: 604 Brazos St, Austin, TX 78701, United States
Rooted in history and tradition, The Driskill is an iconic Austin property that is a stone’s throw away from many of the city’s prominent attractions and cultural landmarks. Originally built in 1886 by cattle baron Jesse Driskel, the hotel is a proud testimony to the rich, old-world charm and history of Texan architecture. The Romanesque-style facade is characterized by archways, ornate detailing, and limestone column that create a timeless appeal to all who see it. Wrought-iron touches remind visitors of the 19th-century aesthetic which once dominated Texas’ architectural scene.
Inside, the Driskill is a true stunner–marble floors, intricate woodwork, grand columns, and stained glass decorate the entrance lobby, while plush fabrics and artworks reflecting Texas’ storied past decorate its many rooms and suites.
- Rich history intertwined with elegant comfort.
- Central location, ideal for exploring the city’s vibrant energy.
- Refined dining, raising the bar on the Austin culinary scene.
- A renowned bar and grill with live music.
- Might not appeal to lovers of minimalist design.
- On busy nights, the bar and lobby can become quite lively.
- Room rates can skew towards the high end depending on the season.
See Related: Best All-Inclusive Resorts in Texas
Address: 310 E 5th St., Austin, TX 78701, United States
Setting foot inside The Westin Austin Downtown could be best described as walking inside a postcard from the vibrant, music-fueled streets of this proud Texan city. The hotel’s facade is a stark tribute to the modern architectural style, forming a compelling contrast to its slick, contemporary interiors. The rooftop pool, said to have some of the best rooftop views of any hotel in the city, is just one of this hotel’s luxurious amenities. Locally-sourced Southern dishes are prepared for guests at Stella San Jac, the Westin’s renowned on-site restaurant–and the rooms, filled with warm-toned hues and plush linens, come in various shapes and sizes for travelers with a range of budgets.
- Spectacular rooftop pool offering panoramic city views.
- Central location in the heart of downtown.
- Environmentally-friendly practices.
- In-house Southern-style restaurant.
- Street noise in rooms on lower floors.
- Parking can be pricey
Address: 700 San Jacinto, E 8th St At, Austin, TX 78701, United States
Majestic views sweep out from the glass towers of the Omni Austin Hotel Downtown, encompassing the edgy modernity of the city’s skyline under a vast Texan sky. The exterior of this giant deserves a second mention, as its distinctively modern approach to the combination of glass and steel allows for multiple story’s-worth of panoramic views even from inside the hotel. The rooftop lounge, with its sweeping views of Austin, offers visitors a chance to unwind with a cocktail in hand after a dining excursion at the hotel’s on-site restaurant, Ancho’s, which serves guests a delightful mix of local flavors and international dishes.
- Centrally located for downtown exploration.
- Offers stunning city panoramas.
- On-site restaurant serving delicious Southwestern cuisine.
- Comfortable and well-appointed rooms with modern amenities.
- Limited complimentary parking.
- Some visitors may find it a tad expensive.
Address: 605 Davis St, Austin, TX 78701, United States
In the heart of Austin’s Rainey Historic District, is found the iron-and-brick facade and entrance of Hotel Van Zandt. This location, filled with historic bungalows turned into fashionable bars, provides a unique combination of contemporary nightlife activities and historic charm. The hotel’s distinguished character invites you inside the chic lobby and into the upper floors, where rooms designed and organized with thoughtful details offer expansive windows that take advantage of the natural light flooding in from the Texas sun.
Guests can enjoy fresh biscuits framed in Cast Iron with Ronald Reagen-themed napkins at the hotel’s breakfast spot, or venture later in the day to Geraldine’s, the Van Zandt’s primary eatery, serving Southern classics and live music performances for a relaxing dinnertime ambiance. For classic American fare, the hotel’s Bar and Grill is an excellent choice, conveniently located adjacent to the rooftop pool.
The historic location of the Hotel Van Zandt also allows visitors to walk to Rainey Street, where local music, craft beers, and food can be enjoyed. The Lady Bird Lake is also located less than two miles away from the hotel for guests who desire waterfront excursions.
- Authentic Austin vibes.
- Rooftop restaurant with live music.
- Rooms with incredible Lady Bird Lake views.
- Some rooms offer less desirable views.
- Can be active during peak seasons, which can limit availability.
- An above-average price tag compared to other luxe accommodations in the area.
Address: 1901 San Antonio St Unit 1100, Austin, TX 78705, United States
Imagine a place where attitude meets elegance and local culture binds tightly with subtle sophistication. This is the essence of The Otis Hotel Austin. An oasis nestled in the heart of Austin, the place radiates a warm glow of authenticity. The lobby echoes with the rhythmic whispers of vinyl records, captivating your senses as the seductive aromas of locally sourced cuisine from the hotel’s rooftop restaurant waft through the air. Up there, beyond an electric carpet of city lights, intimate truths about Austin begin to reveal themselves in serendipitous encounters. Every nuance found in each of the bespoke rooms is a silent tribute to local artists and craftsmen. Isn’t trekking the soul of the world just as much about understanding the pulse of local aesthetic as it is about retaining home comforts? This is the paradox somehow resolved in the very fabric of The Otis Hotel Austin.
- Centrally located with easy access to city highlights
- Features bespoke rooms with exclusive local art displays
- Unique dining experiences at the rooftop restaurant
- Eco-conscious measures, including locally sourced ingredients
- Higher average nightly rates compared to other lodgings in the area
- Noise from the vibrant city nightlife can be intrusive for some guests
- Some guests have mentioned relatively small room sizes
Address: 400 Lavaca St, Austin, TX 78701, United States
The Hotel ZaZa Austin offers guests an atmosphere filled with themes of Austin’s rock-and-roll grit combined with a luxuriously-adorned interior featuring brick, tile, rich woods, and Persian-style rugs. Occupying a prime spot in the city’s downtown–and with its proximity to Republic Square–this hotel provides access to various entertainment ensues as well as the 2nd Street District, making it a gateway to some of Austin’s most vibrant activities.
Showcasing a contemporary design, the Hotel ZaZa blends sleek glass and concrete in its facade that, while modern, complements the urban character of the urban downtown. The interior of the hotel continues the theme of visual architectural coherence with the surrounding area and its culture by representing the blend of glamor, luxury, and bohemian styling that Austin is celebrated for.
- Unparalleled mix of luxury and Texan style.
- Exceptional on-site dining experience.
- A stone’s throw away from vibrant local attractions.
- Breath-taking views of downtown Austin.
- Might be overwhelming for those seeking an understated aesthetic.
- Bustling neighborhood may not suit everyone.
- Pricey for budget-conscious travelers.
Address: 211 E 3rd St, Austin, TX 78701, United States
The Hyatt Place Austin Downtown–a fresh breeze of modernity and innovation that mirrors the vibrant diversity of Austin itself. Guests can relax in chic rooms with urban views and complete with warmth and thoughtful, modern amenities. Tailored for both business and leisure travelers, the hotel provides a seamless blend of stylish design, contemporary amenities, and the service that the Hyatt brand is known for.
The glow of the Texan sun casting long shadows across the lounge is parallel with Austin’s sprawling evening entertainment scene, visible from your room’s wide windows. Locations such as 6th Street, famed for its lively bars, music venues, and festivals, or the Austin Convention Center are in close proximity to the Hyatt Place Austin Downtown, as is Lady Bird Lake.
- Prime location close to Austin hot spots and attractions.
- Roomy suites with modern amenities and stunning views.
- Complimentary breakfast and 24/7 dining.
- Excellent customer service and cozy atmosphere.
- Limited onsite parking.
- No in-room safes.
- Fitness center may seem small for some.
See Related: Best Hotels in Dallas, Texas
Address: 110 The Cir, Austin, TX 78704, United States
Prepare to immerse yourself in a mix of eclectic modern design met with comforting Southern charm at the Kimber Modern Boutique Hotel. This architectural marvel is a careful balance of sharp, geometric lines and whimsical curves, with each room thoughtfully designed with a burst of bold colors, daring contrasts, and luxurious amenities. This hotel offers guests a tranquil retreat while still being in close proximity to a number of attractions, considering its location in one of Austin’s most vibrant neighborhoods.
Common areas, expansive windows, custom-designed furniture, and European linens come standard across all rooms at the hotel, with some suites providing spacious layouts and private balconies for those who seek a heightened accommodation experience. Lacking, however, is a concierge service. Though the hotel operates on a self-check-in model, virtual assistance is available to cater to guests’ needs and offer local recommendations.
- Conveniently located in the South Congress district, with easy access to local attractions.
- Custom-designed rooms offer an unmatched blend of comfort and style.
- A self-service kitchen, stocked with complimentary local beverages and treats.
- Private off-street parking, a rare luxury in the bustling city.
- Lacks traditional hotel services like a gym or spa.
- Not ideal for those seeking an array of on-site dining options.
- No elevators, which could be problematic for those having trouble with stairs.
- No on-site staff.
Address: 604 W 6th St, Austin, TX 78701, United States
Guests can enjoy easy access to iconic attractions, dining options, and the thriving business district while staying at the Canopy by Hilton Austin Downtown. As part of Hilton’s boutique-inspired brand, Canopy, this hotel combines local flair with sophisticated design and provides a true Austin experience trailed to travelers of all types with its emphasis on comfort and convenience.
Representing Austin’s culinary landscape, the Verve–the hotel’s on-site restaurant–serves up a fusion of local flavors and international cuisine, crafted with locally-sourced ingredients. After dinner, guests can also head up to the hotel’s rooftop bar and lounge, The Upside, where guests are offered a chance to sip on handcrafted cocktails while enjoying views of the downtown skyline.
- Stylish design marrying local culture and modern aesthetics
- Prime location in the heart of the city.
- Exceptional rooftop bar boasting stunning city views.
- Can get a bit lively in the evenings due to the popular rooftop bar.
- Some guests may prefer a quieter, less urban location.
Address: 4100 Red River St, Austin, TX, 78751, United States
The Commodore Perry Estate is a historic manor where Austin’s bold spirit noticeably converges with old-world opulence. The estate’s 10 acres of organic gardens and century-old oak trees set the stage for an exciting combination of sensory delights, that is both vibrant and soothing. Each room, featuring luxurious, eccentric details, tells a unique story that is difficult to find anywhere else.
Every inch of this hotel is well-dressed with bohemian style, with rooms that range from bright, open, and tame to suites covered floor-to-ceiling with delicate, pink, floral-inspired wallpaper. The hotel’s chief restaurateur, Larry McGuire has crafted a dining experience that reflects Austin’s multicultural food scene in its most polished form, pairing local ingredients and culinary creativity into a delectable culinary experience.
- Historical mansion with modern luxuries in a serene 10-acre setting.
- Eco-friendly, locally sourced dining led by a renowned chef.
- Proximity to downtown Austin, perfect for urban explorations.
- Some rooms exhibit vintage charm that may be overwhelming.
- Lush estate may distance guests from the city’s energy
- Prices may be steep during certain seasons.
See Related: Best Hotels in Fort Worth, Texas
Address: 810 Red River St, Austin, TX 78701, United States
Marrying retro charm with edgy modernity, Hotel Indigo Austin Downtown – University delves into the city’s pulse from its stoic facade to its vintage, somewhat-eclectic lobby. Featuring clean lines and a modern design mentality that blends into the backdrop of downtown Austin, the hotel stands out due to its distinct branding style–one that even advertises a partial slogan on one of the interior lobby walls, ‘You’re weird–but I love you!”.
Rooms at the Hotel Indigo Austin Downtown – University are tailored for both relaxation and productivity, featuring plush bedding, functional workspaces, and decorative, urban-inspired art pieces that provoke consideration of Austin’s iconic music and arts scene. Other amenities at this location include the hotel’s trendy bar, on-site restaurant, a highly-functional fitness center, and a plethora of meeting spaces.
- A stone’s throw from the University and a myriad of live music venues.
- Impeccable service catering to guests’ needs.
- Street noise might pose a problem for light sleepers.
- The bustling neighborhood doesn’t guarantee uninterrupted quiet moments.
Address: 304 E Cesar Chavez St, Austin, TX 78701, United States
The Austin Marriott Downtown bristles with life, standing tall against the vibrant downtown cityscape. This modern establishment, with its behemoth size and sprawling glass architecture, produces an eye-catching facade and exterior that reflects the lights of the city around it. The large windows also provide guests with panoramic views of the Austin skyline. The hotel’s proximity to major attractions renders it a viable destination for those seeking an urban accommodation experience and a gateway to exploring many of the city’s offerings–making it somewhat of a landmark in the area.
The Austin Marriot Downtown also features a number of distinguished eateries and bars, such as the seven-story-up rooftop bar, Zanzibar. Loaf + Vine provides guests with a range of gifts and treats from small Austin businesses, pastries, coffees, and a large selection of beer and wine. Corinne offers outside patio plates for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, while The Lobbyist and Rye Bar offer brother-and-sister lounge and cocktail experiences, perfect for intimate conversions and people-watching.
- Striking balance of luxury and comfort.
- Chic, contemporary design.
- Prime downtown location near top city attractions.
- Fine selection of lounges, bars, and restaurants.
- Might be expensive to some.
- Limited on-site parking options.
17. W Austin
Address: 200 Lavaca St, Austin, TX 78701, United States
Mirror-like, overflowing rooftop pools set the vibe at the W Austin, a part of the upscale W Hotels brand under Marriott International, which showcases a blend of modern luxe-styling with a touch of Austin’s iconic music and cultural scene. Private balconies, vibrant colors, and stunning views of the city skyline accent many of the guest rooms and suites at this hotel, accented with the establishment’s proprietary ‘W’ branding over the lobby. Speaking of which, the lobby is often referred to as the Living Room in W hotels, serving as a gathering spot for its visitors. It combines modern design elements, plush seating, and curated artwork, creating a space that is equal parts welcome and stylish.
Guests can discover the Wet Deck, where calming Texas sunsets form the backdrop to a regal swimming experience, or can find a relaxing experience at the AWAY Spa. The hotel’s TRACE restaurant combines a farm-to-fork ethos with Texan soul and offers dishes featuring the finest flavors from local farms in a sleek and sophisticated setting.
- Strategically located with proximity to local attractions and dining spots.
- Luxuriously appointed rooms with modern amenities and breathtaking views.
- An on-site restaurant serving inventive, locally sourced cuisine.
- Excellent spa and fitness facilities for wellness pursuits.
- May feel pricier compared to other local accommodations.
- Fees for in-room WiFi, though it is available for free in common areas.
- Below-average sized rooms.
Address: 300 E 4th St, Austin, TX 78701, United States
With its blend of amenities, quality service, nicely-apportioned rooms, and prime location, the Courtyard by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center offers a range of accommodation options to fit the needs of business professionals and pleasure travelers. The hotel’s facade features a blend of modern architectural elements, and its lobby entrance is welcoming and easily identifiable by the iconic Courtyard branding. Well-lit communal spaces, fit with contemporary furnishings, create ideal spots for casual meetings or relaxation.
Suites at the Courtyard by Marriott feature additional amenities than standard rooms and often feature separate living and sleeping areas for larger groups of guests or people seeking extended stays. Some suites also have excellent views with floor-to-ceiling windows. While not the most luxurious of stays, the accommodation experience at the Courtyard by Marriott is one defined by convenience, efficiency, and cleanliness.
- Prime location within walking distance to Austin’s Convention Center and popular attractions.
- Knowledgeable staff committed to delivering personalized service.
- Spacious, modern rooms with downtown views.
- No complimentary breakfast.
- Parking can be quite expensive.
- Not pet-friendly.
See Related: Best Hotels in San Antonio, Texas
19. The LINE Austin
Address: 111 E Cesar Chavez St, Austin, TX 78701, United States
South Congress Avenue is viewable from the many floor-to-ceiling windows of The LINE Austin, perched on the edge of Lady Bird Lake. Housed in a building originally from the 1960s, The LINE represents a fusion of the city’s rich history, cultural roots, and creativity. The structure’s mid-century roots are evident, with a balance of retro and modern aesthetics that showcase concrete and glass over its facade–one that captures the urban style and essence of the hotel while emphasizing its lakefront location.
The lobby, a grand entrance with high ceilings, showcases a medley of textures, eclectic artwork, and furniture pieces that reflect the culture of Austin, while also providing a gateway for guests to the hotel’s range of on-site restaurants and bars. Arlo Grey, a lake-side restaurant by Top Chef winner Kristen Kish, serves a blend of classic dishes with a twist. Dean’s One Trick Pony, almost as the name itself sounds, is a casual eatery with a retro feel that offers light meals and drinks. Lastly, the P6 rooftop lounge provides small Mediterranean-inspired plates and handcrafted cocktails against the Austin skyline and views of Town Lake.
- Prime location offering vibrant city and serene lake views.
- Unique, art-forward aesthetic reflecting Austin’s charm.
- On-site star-studded dining experience at Arlo Grey.
- Rooms on the smaller side in comparison to some competitors
- Occasionally challenging to find on-site parking.
Address: 1211 W Riverside Dr, Austin, TX 78704, United States
The Loren at Lady Bird Lake is a design masterpiece made from stone, glass and a creative blend of urban architecture with a modern nature-infused aesthetic. Every element of the hotel, from its amenities to the curated vines and plants set against the backdrop of concrete pillars, speaks to its refined taste, combining Austin’s urban culture with the scene and natural beauty of Lady Bird Lake. Architecture that leans toward contemporary minimalism, with expansive glass facades, allows for breathtaking lake views and lets in plenty of natural light. Its structures are also complemented by landscaped gardens and terraces that blend into the surrounding nature.
The hotel’s dining venues provide gourmet culinary experiences, with menus that draw inspiration from local flavors and provide guests with both indoor and alfresco dining options. The Loren, overlooking Lady Bird Lake, also features a spa and wellness center with an outdoor pool that looks out over the water–a perfect location to soak in the Austin sunshine while sipping on a cocktail from the hotel’s poolside bar and lounge area.
- Breathtaking views of Lady Bird Lake.
- Convenient location near Austin’s popular attractions.
- Plush rooms with lavish amenities
- Exceptional dining options incorporating local produce.
- A bit costly for budget-conscious travelers.
- Occasional noise from nearby live music venues.