In the sprawling urban grid of Chicago, our affections are stretched wide over the rich tapestry of enthusiasm, locally-inspired cuisines, and soulful blues that permeate its bustling avenues. It’s a city where the busy days descend into neon-lit evenings and where towering steel marvels scrape every inch of the Illinois sky.
In this dynamic cityscape, knowing where to hang up your coat and kick off your shoes can make all the difference. This is where knowing the best hotels in Chicago quickly becomes important–each one promises to tell a different story, yet all are connected by intimate views into the heart and soul of the Windy City.
Hold tight as we embark on a detailed investigation of Chicago’s top accommodations, each one providing an opportunity to experience Chi-Town. Downtown’s bustling, luminous streets await with its many museums, deep-dish pizzerias, and busy cultural scenes–all flanked by the homes of the Chicago Cubs and the Chicago White Sox.
Best Hotels in Chicago, Illinois
Address: 85 E Wacker Dr, Chicago, IL 60601, United States
LondonHouse Chicago, part of the Curio Collection by Hilton, stands proudly at a central city interaction. A fusion of classic heritage and contemporary sophistication confidently rises into the city’s skyline, with its sweeping, century-old brickwork a testament to its history. Gaze through the floor-to-ceiling windows exposing a panorama of the Chicago River. The view might be dizzying for some, but it’s worth it for the breathtaking sights.
In the signature LH rooftop bar, small bites and delicious cocktails serve as complementary sides to the conversations you have as you take in views of the Chicago River, Lake Michigan, and the Magnificent Mile. Background jazz music contributes to the setting, adding a touch of vintage glamour to this otherwise state-of-the-art hotel.
Just like Chicago itself, the hotel’s atmosphere is undeniably enticing and offers a top-notch stay in the city.
- Prime location offering stunning views of the Chicago River.
- Luxurious, spacious rooms with a contemporary feel and robust amenities.
- The rooftop bar, LH, offers a stunning 360-degree view of the city.
- Exceptional dining experience tied to Chicago’s food culture.
- Higher price point compared to other downtown hotels.
- Elevators can become inaccessible during peak times, often causing long wait times.
- The rooftop bar, although mesmerizing, can be crowded during the evenings.
2. The Drake
Address: 140 E Walton Pl, Chicago, IL 60611, United States
The Drake is a distinguished hotel, positioned within the high-end shopping district of Chicago’s Magnificent Mile and boasting views of Lake Michigan. Since 1920, it has been a symbol of the decadence of the early industrial-American age, merging historical allure with prestige.
Soulful notes from the grand piano waft through its luxurious halls that boast finely-appointed upholstery, curtains, stonework, and gilded columns. Don’t let the antiquated grandeur distract you, though–The Drake comes furnished with modern amenities for every kind of traveler, with excellent concierge services to boot.
- A Historic Landmark offering a unique journey into Chicago’s dazzling past.
- Prime location that is only steps away from some of Chicago’s best attractions.
- Stately and luxurious rooms that whisper tales of bygone glamour.
- Vintage charm might not appeal to enthusiasts for ultramodern aesthetics.
- Can seem a bit pricey, though the experience justifies the investment.
- Noise intrusion could be a concern for light sleepers, thanks to its city center location.
Address: 120 E Delaware Pl, Chicago, IL 60611, United States
This iconic harbor of luxury, nestled in the embrace of Chicago’s iconic skyline, is a destination that exemplifies high-end luxury. As a guest of Four Seasons Hotel Chicago, you step directly into the heartbeat of urban sophistication. Each room at this famous hotel offers either striking views of Lake Michigan or of Chicago’s bustling streets. The suites are elegantly appointed with sparkling chandeliers, polished onyx bathrooms, and gold accents.
Guests at the Four Seasons Hotel Chicago will remember savoring Michelin-star meals from the 7th-floor eatery, Adorn Bar & Restaurant, sharing stories in the spacious halls, and enjoying pleasant views of the sunset on the Chicago skyline.
- Beautifully furnished suites with stunning city or lake views.
- In-house Michelin-star restaurant for an exquisite dining experience.
- Excellent location within reach of esteemed Windy City icons.
- Top-tier luxury may not suit all budget sizes.
- Expensive valet parking.
Address: 20 E Chestnut St, Chicago, IL 60611, United States
The Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile stands high against the steel and glass ensemble of the Windy City: an embodiment of French contemporary luxury that mingles with Chicago’s gritty charm. This architectural marvel, with its distinct prism design, compliments Chicago’s strong, angular cityscape.
Inside, guests can expect comfortable linen bedding, modern art-deco upholstery, and colorful rooms. Waking up, the cinematic panorama of the city is viewable through floor-to-ceiling windows that offer robust views of downtown Chicago. The hotel’s 4-star restaurant, CVA, offers a variety of Mediterranian-inspired dishes.
- Boutique-style, high-end comfort fused with chic French style.
- Prime location, nestled conveniently amidst major attractions.
- Spectacular city views.
- Fine culinary experiences CDA, the in-house restaurant.
- Not a budget-conscious hotel.
- Busy locale can lead to occasional noise disruption.
Address: 200 N Columbus Dr, Chicago, IL 60601, United States
Fairmont Chicago – Millennium Park stands saluting skyward against the winds rolling off of Lake Michigan. The lobby of this hotel, notable for its bronze work, has welcomed many guests over the years.
A multifaceted and dynamic accommodation with numerous options for suites and guestrooms, this hotel offers a range of amenities from bell staff to concierge services, pet-friendly policies, and options for professionals and businessmen to conduct their affairs at one of the establishment’s many meeting rooms.
Yet, Fairmont’s soul is far deeper than just decadence alone. It is steeped in culture, with a strong emphasis on music, art, and architecture that reflects Chicago’s lively spirit.
- Excellent location that is only steps away from notable landmarks.
- Stunning city views from ideally situated rooms.
- Impressive range of high-quality amenities.
- Historical cultural lineage.
- High-end hospitality may fall slightly heavy on pockets.
- Limited vegetarian food options in their premier dining choice.
Address: 155 N Peoria St, Chicago, IL 60607
The charm of the Nobu Hotel Chicago lies within every detail of its construction, from matte black paned windows to the ambient lighting installations found in almost every room and hallway. Delicate silk textures and custom art installations to the mesmerizing Chicago skyline frame your suite’s floor-to-ceiling windows, letting light pour over the oriental-style wooden baths found in the washrooms of many of Nobu Hotel Chicago’s larger suites.
Culinary dreams dance from the kitchen of Chef Nobu Matsuhisa with his signature style of transforming sushi into edible artwork. The hotel surroundings create a cinematic feel, offering guests a rich, intimate encounter with ChiTown’s cultural diversity.
- Luxurious, modern rooms adorned with curated Japanese aesthetics.
- Located in the trendy West Loop with easy access to local attractions.
- Acclaimed dining at the on-site Nobu Restaurant.
- Upscale amenities include a private fitness center, indoor pool, and spa.
- High-end pricing to compliment a high-end experience.
- Popular dining venues may result in busy common areas.
- Limited parking options nearby could result in extra costs.
- Lack of on-site children’s activities or facilities, making it less suitable for families.
Address: 808 S Michigan Ave, Chicago, IL 60605, United States
The Sentral Michigan Avenue sits in the heart of downtown Chicago, just a stone’s throw from many of the city’s top tourist destinations. A refined sanctuary encased in glass and veined marble, the Sentral Michigan Avenue Hotel is an elegant accommodation that is sure to please both business and pleasure travellers.
High ceilings, numerous pools, and expansive suites feature excellent nighttime views of the city and early morning views over Lake Michigan. This hotel also features a number of top-tier amenities and unique features, such as the four-story indoor garden and indoor hydrotherapy spa rooms.
- Luxurious accommodations with stunning views of Lake Michigan.
- 24/7 concierge and room service.
- While located centrally, noise from bustling Michigan Avenue can infiltrate some rooms.
- High-demand periods may see rate surges.
- Limited parking facilities and additional parking incur a fee.
Address: 108 E Superior St, Chicago, IL 60611, United States
Located in the heart of Chicago, the Peninsula Chicago is a symbol of luxury, combing elegant Asian roots and decor with Midwestern hospitality to create a unique destination for its guests. Sophisticated and contemporary rooms are outfitted with high-tech amenities, blend comfort with style, and provide excellent views of the city.
In addition to the luxurious interiors, the hotel offers world-class dining options from traditional Cantonese food at the Shanghai Terrance to American fare at The Lobby. The Z Bar–on the rooftop, of course–offers a posh lounge experience with creative cocktails and scenic city views.
- Exceptional, award-winning dining options.
- Excellent concierge service.
- Prime downtown location.
- Very high rates.
- Valet service can occasionally become bogged down.
Address: 323 E Wacker Dr, Chicago, IL 60601, United States
Exhale as reflective glass facets of Swissotel Chicago welcome your eye from between the sculpted shoulders of this Windy City giant. The hotel boasts sweeping views of the city skyline and Lake Michigan from its uniquely triangular architectural design which stands out as a landmark in the city.
The rooms and suites available at the Swissotel Chicago offer a mix of comfort and elegant utility, with each space outfitted with modern amenities and clothed in smooth angles and a light color palette. Also available at this accommodation is a range of culinary experiences to accommodate the tastes of its various international travelers.
- Striking Lakeside location offers panoramic views.
- Offers rich culinary scene inspired by global flavors.
- Chic interior design reflects European elegance with a modern twist.
- High demand can lead to crowded common areas.
- Room prices can be on the high side compared to other downtown accommodations.
- Not in immediate proximity to some major attractions, depending on interests.
See Related: Most Romantic Places in the World
Address: 221 N Columbus Dr, Chicago, IL 60601, United States
The Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel is known for its remarkable example of modern architecture and design with its distinctive wave-lie exterior.
The amenities and facilities provided for guests who choose the accommodation are no less impressive, either. A running track, top-tier fitness center, and a variety of indoor and outdoor pools allow guests to maintain their health routines throughout the duration of their stay.
With its rooms complemented by floor-to-ceiling windows that offer gorgeous views of Lake Michigan–and the distinctive blue color palette appearing in various shades throughout the decor of the hotel–its appearance is sure to ‘wow’ any visitor.
- Central location, making most notable sights easily accessible.
- On-site wellness center for relaxation.
- Farm-to-table cuisine.
- Can be on the pricier side.
- Views may vary based on room selection.
- Parking fees are additional.
Address: 32 W Randolph St, Chicago, IL 60601, United States
Feel the pulse in the beating heart of Chicago’s Theatre District. The Cambria Hotel is nestled just above the historic Ford Center for the Performing Arts Oriental Theatre and provides its guests with direct access to Chicago’s rich cultural history.
A kaleidoscope of jade-like glass and burnished metal, it rises stark against the urban backdrop and creates a cove of respite for professionals and those who wish to examine the Art Institute of Chicago, the Magnificent Mile, or the Millenium Park.
From the plush threads underfoot to the Chicago skyline unveiled in your room’s large window, each detail speaks to the city’s exquisite aesthetics. Corner bistros playing the classics, the clink of china as you sip coffee in the stylish lobby, and the Cabaret ZaZou, an international dinner theater await you in and around the Cambria Hotel Chicago Loup.
- Prime location for theatre-goers and cultural enthusiasts.
- Contemporary design aligns with Chicago’s architectural ethos.
- Exceptional city views from most rooms.
- Higher price point due to location.
- Steel construction occasionally impacts cell reception.
- No dedicated parking facilities, reliance on nearby public options.
Address: At Water Tower Place, 160 E Pearson St, Chicago, IL 60611, United States
The Ritz-Carlton Chicago is set at Water Tower Place, one of the most renowned locations in the heart of Chicago. Renowned for its exceptional service and first-class amenities, this hotel defines the modern luxe-accommodation experience with a history of refined, well-oiled concierge service.
Crisp, upscale linens cover the rooms as widescreen windows provide the marble sills to reflect plenty of sunlight. The Ritz Carlton Chicago also houses multiple dining options, including Torali, an Italian steakhouse, as well as Torali’s rooftop bar–The Rooftop.
For those seeking a relaxing experience, this hotel offers a world-class spa, panoramic views of the city, a fitness center, and an indoor pool. It is also located within walking distance of the Magnificent Mile and the Navy Pier.
- Central location, providing easy access to major attractions.
- Deluxe rooms offer unparalleled views of the city.
- The level of luxury offered here can exceed pricing expectations.
- Parking is known to be an issue.
13. The River Hotel
Address: 75 E Wacker Dr, Chicago, IL 60601, United States
As you navigate Chicago’s crowded skyline architecture, tucked between titans of steel and glass, stands an unassuming envoy of stories, The River Hotel. The Chicago River, hence the name, is a short stroll away, alongside other tourist destinations.
Hotel rooms equipped with modern amenities can help guests find solace here as they enjoy views of the city and the river, depending on their suite’s orientation. Simple, laid back, yet deserving attention, The River Hotel is an attractive destination for travelers who desire a no-questions-asked, professional accommodation experience.
- Prime location steps away from Michigan Avenue.
- Unique integration of historical and modern design.
- Quiet rooms balance urban energy and serenity.
- Absence of an on-site restaurant.
- Some rooms lack views due to surrounding skyscrapers.
- Limited on-site amenities compared to larger, resort-style hotels.
Address: 644 N Lake Shore Dr, Chicago, IL 60611
Welcome to Chicago, where the shores of Lake Michigan gather just below the view of the W Chicago – Lakeshore Hotel. Situated just next door to the Navy Pier, this hotel combines its central location with modern comfort and style.
Ignite your culinary senses with delicate dishes from the hotel’s on-site restaurant, CURRENT, and plan your business ventures with over 21,000 square footage of real estate filled with plenty of rooms for events–all while enjoying waterfront views. The 33rd-floor Altitude offers 360-degree views of both the city and the water below and is the perfect place to celebrate a milestone or business event.
- Stunning lakeside location, close to renowned landmarks.
- Luxurious rooms with surreal views of Lake Michigan and the cityscape.
- A vibrant bar area with quality cocktails and live music.
- Fitness center with modern equipment and various spa treatments.
- Premium pricing which might not suit all budgets.
- Can get busy during peak tourist seasons.
- Not all rooms have a lake view.
See Related: Best Destinations in the World
Address: 55 E 11th St, Chicago, IL 60605, United States
Located in Chicago’s lively South Loop, the Hilton Garden Inn provides guests with stylish, light-toned, chic angles and flat color schemes to enhance the view from each suites floor-to-ceiling windows.
The hotel’s interior is sleek and modern, with well-designed spaces inviting each guest into comfortable beds with mesmerizing views of the city. When not resting, travelers can explore some of the city’s many attractions located nearby, including Grant Park, Lake Michigan, and the Art Institute.
The cafe hotel offers a delightful complimentary breakfast, featuring a range of Chicago’s favorite dishes. Once breakfast is completed, guests can get in their exercise at the fully-loaded fitness center.
- Tier-one amenities and contemporary accommodation.
- Walking access to top attractions.
- Superior dining experience in-house.
- There could be some noise from the streets below.
- High parking fees may apply.
- Peak season prices may soar.
Address: 11 E Walton St, Chicago, IL 60611, United States
The Waldorf Astoria Chicago is located in one of Chicago’s most prestigious neighborhoods, the Gold Coast block, and offers an accommodation experience steeped in sophistication and elegance. With an on-site bar reminiscent of early Chicago glamour and culinary delight options–such as The Brasserie–the Waldorf Astoria Chicago provides a unique experience that serves as a look into the city’s richer past.
Each room boasts a spacious layout with lots of stone work, open-concept layouts meshing with familiar design patterns, and private terraces that offer stunning views of the cityscape. The hotel also has a renowned spa that hosts private relaxation experiences, to which a quick trip to Bernard’s Bar can really prove an excellent nightcap.
- Luxurious interiors merge historic charm with modern elegance.
- Superb dining experiences at the hotel’s own Margeaux Brasserie.
- Opulent suites with remarkable city views.
- Stays may feel expensive, but the luxury certainly justifies the price tag.
- Located in the Gold Coast neighborhood, which can be quite busy at times.
Address: 900 E Grand Ave, Chicago, IL 60611, United States
Another hotel of the prestigious Curio Collection by Hilton, the Sable at Navy Pier Chicago offers breathtaking views of Lake Michigan at some of its unique culinary destinations, namely the Lirica restaurant and the rooftop cocktail bar.
Versatile event spaces, modern amenities, and naval-inspired rooms help to usher in a sense of peace and relaxation for guests as they admire the blue waters from the comfort of their beds.
A bustling hub of activity, the Navy Pier features the Chicago Children’s Museum, the iconic Centennial Weheel, and the Pier Park which are all within walking distance of the Sable.
- Extraordinary lakefront location offering stunning views.
- Convenient access to Navy Pier attractions.
- Chic, nautical-themed rooms with modern amenities.
- Superior caliber of service.
- Impressive dining venue, offering gastronomic delights.
- High traffic during peak tourist season.
- Higher-end pricing due to its premium locale.
- Limited parking availability.
- Noise from Navy Pier events could be bothersome for certain guests.
Address: 123 E Cermak Rd Suite 300, Chicago, IL 60616, United States
Chicago’s metal veins fade behind you as you step into the Hilton Garden Inn Chicago McCormick Place Hotel. Bathed in luxurious modern designs, rooms offer floor-to-ceiling cityscape views that are sure to delight.
If you’re feeling peckish, you can make your way over to the Garden Grille & Bar, where you can find freshly prepared breakfast, lunch, and dinner options. The Pavillion Pantry is also a fun and unique escapade for any hotel of this class, open 24 hours a day and offering ready-to-cook meals, beverages, and snacks. There is also a rooftop bar where guests can enjoy drinks with panoramic views of the Chicago Downtown.
- Convenient location near McCormick Place and public transit.
- Wide range of amenities such as a fitness center and indoor pool.
- On-site dining and pantry open round the clock.
- Parking can be expensive.
- The surrounding area can get noisy at night.
- No on-site spa facilities for premium relaxation.
Address: 1411 E 53rd St, Chicago, IL 60615, United States
Hidden deep within the vibrant heart of Chicago’s South Side, SOPHY Hyde Park is a symphony of sophisticated urban living and a cultural gateway like no other. The hotel’s brick and glass facade embodies a sense of modern elegance that fits quite well with the aesthetic of the neighborhood that surrounds it.
The rooms here are chic and inviting, each thoughtfully designed with contemporary and vintage elements, stone sinks and countertops, and wooden detailing. Every room includes amenities such as smart TV, mini-fridge, plush bedding, and spacious workstations, rendering it suitable for business travelers.
Guests can dine in Mesler, the hotel’s on-site restaurant, which offers a combination of both global and local flavors, with a menu that caters to various dietary needs. Once supper is finished, raise a toast to Chicago in the sultry, dimly-lit lantern-lit cocktail bar.
- Centrally located near prominent universities and parks.
- Art-infused, culturally relevant architectural design.
- Unique footprint in a historic neighborhood.
- Can be a bit pricey for budget travelers.
- Limited parking options.
- Away from traditional downtown sights.
Address: 21 E Bellevue Pl, Chicago, IL 60611, United States
In the pulsating heart of Chicago’s Gold Coast neighborhood, you’ll find the Thompson Chicago, a beacon of luxury and a finesse of refined taste. This luxury, boutique hotel leaves an impression with a moody color palette and industrial-chic finishing that complement the historic architecture of Chicago.
The rooms are decorated with rich fabrics and textiles and feature modern furniture to serve as a classy and refined visual contradiction. The hardwood floors and artwork inspired by the city’s culture delicately complement the cohesive taste of this well-loved accommodation.
The hotel’s dining experience is impressive, too, with Nico Osteria serving delicious Italian culinary options with a specific focus on Seafood. The Salone Nico just next door offers guests a quiet, calm place to relax with an aperitif post-dinner.
- Prime location in Chicago’s Gold Coast.
- Distinctive style imbued with Chicago’s unique character.
- First-rate amenities, from gourmet dining to high-end fitness centers.
- Breathtaking views of Lake Michigan.
- Higher price range due to luxury amenities and location.
- Rooms facing the busy street may experience some noise.
- On-site amenities may be booked quickly during peak seasons.