San Antonio, Texas is a place that mixes the technicolor hustle of gritty streets and the allure of old-world charm with Tex-Mex culture and has plenty of historical architecture to boot. Playful mariachi melodies dance their way out of picturesque cantinas and onto the River Walk, where lush landscapes punctuate a thriving urban scene. Each corner hides a story, a flavor, and just enough of the unexpected to capture the attention and excitement of even the most experienced travelers–so join us as we embark on a trip through some of the most unforgettable hotel locations in San Antonio, each with plenty to offer.
Best Hotels in San Antonio, Texas
Address: 123 Losoya St, San Antonio, TX 78205, United States
The Hyatt Regency San Antonio Riverwalk, with its limestone facade, offers a tribute to Texas’ formidable natural architecture. It’s centrally positioned on the Riverwalk, a network of walkways along the waterfront that is filled with restaurants, shops, and other attractions.
The rooms and suites at this hotel are designed to meet a variety of needs and applications: standard rooms come equipped with plenty of modern amenities, suites provide additional living spaces, and Regency Club Rooms provide access to the Club Lounge, free breakfast, and other perks.
The hotel’s signature restaurant, Q Kitchen | Bar, serves a mix of local flavors and classic dishes. Room service also provides beverages and light dishes to guests, or they can head down to the Regency’s bar down below.
- Prime location in the heart of downtown.
- Direct access to San Antonio Riverwalk.
- Spacious rooms with stunning views.
- On-site dining with regional flavors.
- Street noise can infiltrate rooms.
- Parking can be a pricey endeavor.
- In-room refreshments are not complimentary.
See Related: Top 10 Most Beautiful Cave Hotels in Cappadocia
Address: 112 College St, San Antonio, TX 78205, United States
Located on the serene riverwalk of Alamo City, the Omni La Mansión del Rio is an exquisite clash of luxury and history that provides a unique accommodation experience. Upon entering the hotel and its courtyard, you step into a world where Spanish-colonial architecture combined with modern amenities tells the story of its past: a Catholic school transformed into a luxury hotel, setting an ambiance and immersing guests in the romance and charisma of the region.
Standard suites at this location boast king-sized or double beds, with many rooms featuring views of either the Riverwalk or the courtyard itself. The Omni Mansión del Rio also has an excellent restaurant on site, Las Canarias, known for its hand-blown glass chandeliers and offering a blend of American and traditional Spanish cuisines. El Colegio Bar, originally the school’s library, offers a cozy setting for drinks.
- Strategic location on the captivating riverwalk.
- Rooms with custom-designed furnishings and beautiful views.
- Historic Spanish-colonial aesthetics.
- The rustic vibe may not suit everyone’s taste.
- Noise from the bustling riverwalk at times.
See Related: 10 Best Kid Friendly Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Address: 150 E Houston St, San Antonio, TX 78205, United States
Another hotel located directly on the city’s famous Riverwalk, the Hotel Valencia Riverwalk is a delightful blend of romanticism and extravagance, with an ambiance of centuries-old Spanish Colonial and modern Mediterranean charm.
The elegantly furnished rooms offer panoramic vistas of the city or tranquil river. Some of the higher-end suites also feature balconies that provide lovely views of the city or the Riverwalk below. Post sundown, escape to the hotel’s well-known restaurant, Dorrego’s, which offers Argentinean plates paired with fine wine.
Thanks to this hotel’s strategic location, guests can easily explore a range of attractions, including the famous Alamo, the Majestic Theatre, and the Tobin Center for the Performing Arts.
- Perfect spot between the vibrant city life and the serene River Walk.
- Indulgent in-house dining at Dorrego’s restaurant.
- Rooms offering panoramic city or river views.
- Valet parking cost is on the higher side.
- No in-house pool.
See Related: Best Bars on Austin’s 6th Street
Address: 23808 Resort Pkwy, San Antonio, TX 78261, United States
Allow yourself to relax by the pool, breathing in the mesquite-scented air of JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa. Unlike the other mentioned hotels, this resort is set in the beautiful Texas Hill Country, away from the business of downtown San Antonio, giving guests a serene and quiet escape among a lovely natural backdrop.
The resort draws inspiration from the countryside’s landscape and heritage combining luxury and leisure in a manner fit for business professionals, families, and guests of all types. A host of excellent amenities are also provided at this hotel, like a golf course, a full-service spa, and a sprawling water park with two separate pools, mini-pools, and waterslides.
Also unique to this hotel is its wide array of dining options–7, to be exact, with 5 bars! From the upscale cuisines at 18 Oaks to the more casual fare at the High Velocity Sports Bar or Cibolo Moon, there’s something here for each individual palate.
- Fantastic array of amenities fitting for a resort of its caliber.
- Offers seven distinctive restaurants and 5 bars.
- Rooms furnished with plush bedding and private balconies.
- A nine-acre waterpark.
- Dining and additional activities could be considered expensive.
- Distance from downtown San Antonio may be inconvenient for some.
See Related: Lexington
Address: 200 S Alamo St, San Antonio, TX 78205, United States
The Hilton Palacio del Rio is an embodiment of Texan hospitality with a tangy twist of continental class. It stands as a historic symbol of innovation, having been built for the 1968 World’s Fair, HemisFair ‘68, where rooms were individually constructed and then stacked on top of one another to complete the hotel in record time. Today, it offers contemporary comfort with a touch of San Antonio’s history and is situated in a prime location for urban exploration.
Dining is an enjoyable experience at the Hilton Palacio del Rio, with the River’s Edge Cafe + Patio Bar, Durty Nelly’s Irish Pub, and Tex’s Sports Bar providing guests with an array of eating options with different ambiances. This hotel provides direct access to La Villita Historic Arts Village and, of course, Hemisfair Park, both of which are located nearby the hotel and provide shops, galleries, green spaces, and other exploration-worthy sites.
- Prime location on the city’s beloved River Walk.
- Striking views from comfortable and well-appointed rooms.
- Original Tex-Mex cuisine that dances between tradition and innovation.
- Can be noisy during seasonal events and holidays.
- Valet parking is the only provided option and can be pricey.
- Interior décor, while charming, may feel dated to some visitors.
Address: 101 Bowie St, San Antonio, TX 78205, United States
For those seeking classic Texan hospitality and the ability to explore San Antonio downtown in one cosmopolitan bundle, the San Antonio Marriott Rivercenter lays out a red-carpet welcome and promises more than just shelter.
Located strategically along the Riverwalk, guests have access to many of San Antonio’s attractions, like boutique shops, Hemisfair Park, local heritage sites, and plenty of renowned eateries. Speaking of which, travelers to the Marriot Rivercenter on the River Walk can find private dining experiences at the Tributary, or stop for quicker bites at Cafe Bocadillo.
- Spectacular city views from rooms.
- Central location near top attractions.
- Multiple dining options onsite.
- Parking can be expensive.
- Some rooms appear small for families.
- Noise from River Walk can be a disturbance.
Address: 300 E Travis St, San Antonio, TX 78205, United States
Step into St. Anthony, a historic hotel that is only a short distance from many of the city’s main attractions, including the Alamo and the River Walk. Originally opened in 1909, The St. Anthony is an iconic part of San Antonio’s heritage. It has hosted celebrities, royalty, and plenty of dignitaries throughout its history. As part of the Luxury Collection, this location seamlessly blends its past with modern luxury, blending antique chandeliers and halls filled with grand pianos with luxurious, modern event spaces with vibrant LED lighting and refracting glass upholstery.
Having undergone a multi-million dollar renovation in 2015, the St. Anthony features culinary options that reflect the contrast between antique French luxury and modern funk–take the Gallery on the Park, with dishes crafted from local farms and ranches, to the Rebelle, with fancy seafood plates curated by Stefan Bowers in a neon-lit ambiance. The St. Anthony Club and Roof Top Pool Cabana Bar offer drinks and classic American fare for those who desire a more relaxed–but no less distinguished–dining experience.
- Historical landmark with vintage charm.
- Superior luxury amenities including a rooftop pool and bar.
- Located close to tourist attractions.
- Some find the ambiance too antiquated.
- High-end pricing.
- Limited parking space available.
Address: 830 N St Mary’s St, San Antonio, TX 78205, United States
The location of the Hotel Indigo San Antonio-Riverwalk, as you might guess by its name, provides guests with immediate aes to the picturesque riverside pathways, eateries, and attractions of San Antonio’s downtown. Part of the IHG’s boutique brand, this accommodation destination offers a blend of modern design and local artistic flavor. Each of the hotel’s rooms takes the cultural experience into personal spaces, featuring decor inspired by Texan culture, such as stained wood-stump nightstands and Hacienda-inspired mirrors. The hotel also features a number of amenities to enhance guests’ experiences, with an outdoor pool, a 24/7 fitness center, and business services with meeting spaces for corporate travelers.
- Prime location on San Antonio’s renowned Riverwalk.
- Rooms tastefully adorned with local artwork.
- Responsive, friendly service.
- Limited on-site parking.
- Some may find in-hotel dining options limited.
- Unpredictable Wi-Fi connectivity in certain rooms.
Address: 105 S St Mary’s St, San Antonio, TX 78205, United States
Housed in what were once the Alamo National Bank Buildings, the Drury Plaza Hotel offers a sense of historic charm that is complemented by contemporary comforts. The renovated bank buildings now serve as a unique backdrop to the hotel’s interior. Rooms are comfortably appointed, with the city views growing ever more eye-catching the farther up each suite is located. Nevertheless, room aesthetics are marked by comfortable and cozy fabric choices, with different levels of hotel suites providing different looks, feels, and room layouts.
One distinctive feature of Drury Plaza Hotel is their signature offering dubbed the 5:30 Kickback–a rotating menu of dinnertime beverages and snacks, including hot items and complimentary beer and wine selections, served nightly from 5:30 p.m. until 7:00 p.m. A fresh and free hot breakfast also awaits guests as they start their day.
- Located close to a variety of attractions.
- Offers picturesque views of the Riverwalk.
- Complimentary breakfast with diverse food options.
- Rooftop pool provides a superb skyline view.
- Could get noisy due to centralized location.
- Limited parking spots.
- Design may be too old-worldly for enjoys of minimalist, contemporary luxury.
9. Hotel Emma
Address: 136 E Grayson St, San Antonio, TX 78215, United States
The Hotel Emma is easily one of the most sought-after accommodations in San Antonio. Its situated in the historic Pearl District. Once a brewery, the Pearl District is now a vibrant mixed-use space, and Hotel Emma is certainly one of its crown jewels. Named after Emma Koehler, the former brewery’s CEO, Hotel Ema is a luxurious boutique hotel that seamlessly combines rich industrial architecture with history and modern sophistication. The hotel still displays many remnants of the original machinery and old brewing equipment, once used daily, creating a unique ambiance with exposed metal beams, wooden fixtures, and industrial aesthetics.
- Richly ensconced in local heritage with industrial-chic aesthetics.
- High-end rooms with exposed brick walls and repurposed machinery.
- Located in the culturally vibrant Pearl District.
- Can be very expensive, especially during peak tourist seasons.
- Busy neighborhood can sometimes mean lots of noise due to the crowded District space.
Address: 115 Lexington Ave, San Antonio, TX 78205, United States
Thompson San Antonio is a fine hotel, with a stage set by splendid modern interior and exterior design and driven by top-tier customer service. Located on the Riverwalk, it offers prime access to many of the vibrant attractions of downtown San Antonio. As part of the esteemed Thompson Hotel’s brand–which falls under Hyatt’s portfolio–The Thompson brings contemporary luxury to a historic setting.
The hotel is home to various culinary experiences, such as the Landrace, a restaurant that celebrates Texan cuisine and offers dishes using locally-sourced ingredients. The Moon’s Daughters, though, is not to be left unnoticed. Guests can enjoy Mediterranean-inspired dishes along with panoramic views of the city at this hotel’s secondary eatery.
The Thompson is also well equipped to host a range of events, from corporate functions to lavish weddings with a number of meeting rooms, outdoor event spaces, and elegant ballrooms.
- Stylish and modern design.
- Luxury amenities, including a rooftop bar and pool.
- Onsite restaurant serving culinary delights.
- Prime location with access to city attractions.
- High-end experience comes with a matching price tag.
- Riverwalk can get crowded during peak tourist season.
Address: 16641 La Cantera Pkwy, San Antonio, TX 78256, United States
Located at one of the highest points in San Antonio, La Cantera Resort & Spa is an expansive resort that offers panoramic views of the Texas Hill Country and is just a short drive from some of the city’s major attractions.
This luxury destination sprawls over 550 acres, blending the region’s natural beauty with a host of upscale amenities, offering guests a gateway to relaxation that is infused from top to bottom with Texan charm. With its Spanish colonial architecture, the hotel’s interior and exterior serve as a fine balance between historical style and modern aesthetics.
Check into your expansive room, where rustic elegance is the common thread running through Spanish colonial decor and modern luxuries. Here, each window frames a slice of the outdoors, offering views gorgeous views of the countryside.
- Mesmerizing views of Texas Hill Country.
- On-site golf courses and luxury spa.
- Direct access to outdoor activities.
- High-end dining options specializing in Southwestern cuisine.
- Located a fair distance from downtown San Antonio.
- Busy periods may result in crowding at on-site amenities.
12. Hotel Contessa
Address: 306 W Market St, San Antonio, TX 78205, United States
The Hotel Contessa sits directly on the city’s renounced River Walk, providing a prime position for guests to immerse themselves in the energy and culture of San Antonio’s most iconic area. This hotel stands out as one of the few all-suite luxury hotels in San Antonio, with the Spanish Mediterranean-style architecture reflecting the historic charm of the city, and its interiors presenting a blend of modern elegance and comfort. Large windows and balconies provide guests with picturesque views of the River Walk and the city skyline, depending on the room. Each corner of the hotel tells a little tale of comfort, with the sun-soaked rooftop pool, the unforgettable flavors of Los Ramblas–the hotel’s restaurant–and a host of green, outdoor spaces with fountains to watch fellow tourists sale by on the River just across the way.
- Striking riverfront views.
- Spacious suite-style rooms.
- Plenty of pet-friendly amenities.
- Exceptional in-house dining.
- May experience noise from River Walk activity.
- Valet parking can be costly.
- Peak times may limit availability.
Address: 9800 Hyatt Resort Dr, San Antonio, TX 78251, United States
Nestled among 300 acres of wildflowers and meandering nature trails, this destination offers an interior design that speaks of rustic refinement and modern comfort. As the sun dips low across the sprawling grounds, guests can enjoy true Texas BBQ from the resort’s signature restaurant, Antlers Lodge, or entertain dishes from the Springhouse Cafe and Cactus Oak Tavern.
The on-site Windflower Spa, inspired by the flora of the region, offers guests a full range of services from facials to full-body massage that incorporates natural ingredients from the surrounding hills. This can be quite a relaxing destination, especially after some time spent golfing at the resort’s 27-hole golf course, designed by Arthur Hills and Associates.
Nearby attractions to the Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa include the Riverwalk, the Alamo, and SeaWorld San Antonio.
- Traditional Texas ambiance blended with contemporary amenities.
- Numerous on-site recreational activities including golf, a water park, and nature trails.
- Proximity to major San Antonio attractions.
- Robust wellness offerings at the locally-celebrated Windflower Spa.
- Might be too large for those preferring smaller, intimate hotel properties.
- On the higher end of the price spectrum.
Address: 18603 La Cantera Terrace, San Antonio, TX 78256, United States
Here at the Eilan Hotel and Spa Ascend Resort Collection, San Antonio’s heart beats to the rhythm of flamenco dancers and southern hospitality. The terracotta-roofed, pastel-walled complex sprawls across a landscape studded with native live oak trees. There’s life pulsating amid the lush vineyards and immaculate outdoor pools, framed by the rolling Texas Hill Country.
This Tuscan-inspired retreat blends European luxury with Mediterranean charm, and its grounds are adorned with Italian marble, fountains, and courtyards.
Rooms, ranging from junior suites to presidential suites, offer spacious living areas, luxury bathrooms, and panoramic views. Some also come equipped with private balconies and soaking tubs. The hotel’s dining venues reflect its Mediterranean influence, with the Mercato Cafe offering a casual breakfast and lunch setting and featuring European-inspired dishes. The Piatti, the primary restaurant, seres Italian cuisine in a rustic setting that comes with a list of fine wines.
- Unbeatable panoramic views of Texas Hill Country.
- 4-star luxury with exceptional dining experiences.
- Comprehensive wellness treatments at the in-house spa, the Spa at Eilan.
- Positioned away from central San Antonio and requires transportation for most attractions.
- Commands a respectable price tag.
Address: 123 N St Mary’s St, San Antonio, TX 78205, United States
The high-ceilinged halls and vibrant walls of the Canopy by Hilton San Antonio Riverwalk are defined by popping ultra-modern art pieces and chic upholstery. The Canopy, in its bold stance, offers a gateway into San Antonio’s rich tapestry, but also provides a sanctuary from the Texas sun.
From the rooftop bar, you watch the twinkling lights of River City below, with a handcrafted margarita serving as your local companion. Room styles at this hotel may depart from standard sizings, at least compared to other accommodation giants of its class: just-right rooms feature modern amenities and contemporary designs without wasting space–some with views of the River Walk–while ‘Canopy Suites’ offer separate living areas and panoramic views of San Antonio.
Dining options at the Canopy include Domingo, the hotel’s signature restaurant which offers a modern take on Texas cuisine and locally sourced ingredients, as well as the Canopy Central Cafe and Bar–a great spot for quick bites and casual dining.
- Magnificent views from high-ceilinged rooms and rooftop bar.
- Excellent location with easy access to city’s offerings.
- Personalized, warm service.
- Some may find the modern design stark.
- Higher price range compared to other local accommodations.
- Limited dining options within the hotel itself.
Address: 420 W Market St, San Antonio, TX 78205, United States
The Westin Riverwalk, San Antonio is less about marble hallways and more about those subtle brushstrokes of personality and fine, Texan friendliness that so can easily make or break an accommodation experience. Succinctly modern yet congenially warm in its character, the Westin combines Southern charm with luxury around every corner. Its architecture is a not-so-subtle nod to Texan heritage, with its Spanish colonial design, terracotta colors, and inviting ambiance.
Dining at the Westin Riverwalk includes its flagship restaurant, Zocca Cuisine D’Italia, which offers authentic Italian dishes, and Bar 601, where guests can unwind with a cocktail or local brew while enjoying the sights and sounds of the Riverwalk.
- Fantastic location with easy access to local attractions.
- Superb selection of food and beverage at its on-site restaurants.
- State-of-the-art fitness center and serene spa.
- Potentially busy during peak tourist seasons.
- Rooms with a Riverwalk view may come at a premium price.
- Limited onsite parking available.
See Related: Best Spring Break Destinations in the US
Address: 601 S St Mary’s St, San Antonio, TX 78205, United States
The Hyatt Place San Antonio/Riverwalk Hotel occupies an efficient location for more budget-minded guests, which include both leisure travelers and professionals. It offers a blend of comfort and convenience and a prime location within reach of attractions such as the Majestic Theatre, Alamo, and Hemisfair Park–not unlike other hotels.
Representing the Hyatt Place brand, this hotel combines contemporary design with practical amenities as well as an inviting atmosphere, completed by spacious accommodations, workspace nooks, and friendly service.
- Scenic location near Riverwalk, perfect for night-time strolls.
- More budget-friendly than other nearby options.
- Situated on the city’s outskirts, travel to some landmarks might take a while.
Address: 212 W Crockett St, San Antonio, TX 78205, United States
With its elegant facade and majestic interior architecture, the Mokara Hotel and Spa–formerly known as the Watermark Hotel and Spa–has a reputation for providing refined luxury and excellent customer service. Its rich history and upscale amenities promise a blend of old-world charm and modern refinement. Accommodations at this hotel have a variety of views, with some of the Penthouse Suites and River Walk suites providing gorgeous views of the river below.
Ostra, the hotel’s main restaurant, provides fresh seafood and an upscale dining experience to guests who enjoy oyster bars and an array of fine wines. Rooftop Cafe, as it sounds, is more suited for guests who are looking for classic Texan fare, light snacks, cocktails, and a relaxing nighttime view of the River Walk.
- Prime location within the heart of San Antonio’s River Walk.
- World-class amenities including a rooftop pool and full-service spa.
- Distinctive dining experiences such as the acclaimed Ostra restaurant.
- Valet services may be pricier compared to nearby establishments.
- Atmosphere may not cater to those seeking a more contemporary design.
Address: 217 S St Mary’s St, San Antonio, TX 78205, United States
There is a certain kind of understated charm at the Holiday Inn at San Antonio Riverwalk. It’s a modest, budget-friendly option, and yet it doesn’t necessarily look or feel like one. Cozy–if not ever so slightly dated–interior lobby design tricks you into believing that the inner suites and rooms will live up to the simplistic, no-frills Holiday Inn Style: but that isn’t the case. Wood floors, orange and gray drapery, floor-to-ceiling windows, and modern furnishings provide an easy-flowing and inviting grace. Reliable service provides professional and leisure travelers with the peace of mind that their needs are taken care of, and an array of facilities cater to guests’ needs.
A two-storied restaurant, Windows on the River, offers scenic views and features Tex-Mex cuisine, including fire-grilled steaks, wine, beer, and signature cocktails. The hotel’s location, too, makes it an admirable choice: the RiverWalk, Alamo, Majestic Theater, and the San Fernando Cathedral are all located in close proximity to this Holiday Inn Hotel.
- Ideal location within walking distance of key landmarks.
- Uninterrupted views of the winding San Antonio Riverwalk.
- Kids under 18 eat completely free at the hotel’s proprietary restaurant when staying with their parents.
- Can be busy during peak tourist season.
- Limited parking facilities.
- Some might find the décor a tad understated.