Navigating Moroccan roads can seem like deciphering an ancient script, especially if you’re unfamiliar with its bustling cities and remote landscapes. When most travelers think of their transportation options in foreign lands, the first word that might pop into their minds is ‘Uber’. But is this globally-renowned ride-sharing service a feasible option in Morocco? Buckle your seat belts as we gear up to explore the availability of Uber and other ride-sharing alternatives in this charming North African country. Your journey towards stress-free travel in the intriguing dunes of Morocco begins here!
No, Uber is not currently available in Morocco. However, alternative ride-hailing services such as Careem and Heetch operate in major cities like Casablanca, Marrakech, and Tangier. These services can be used for convenient transportation options while visiting Morocco.
Availability of Uber in Morocco
If you’re planning a trip to Morocco and wondering about the availability of Uber, there are a few important things to note. Uber used to operate in Morocco, including cities like Casablanca, but it has since stopped all operations in the country due to issues with local taxi drivers and protests. This means that using Uber for your transportation needs might not be an option during your visit.
However, fear not! There are alternatives available that can help you navigate through the cities of Morocco conveniently.
Now, let’s explore how you can check for Uber availability in various cities during your travel in Morocco.
- Uber used to operate in Morocco, including cities like Casablanca. However, it has since stopped all operations in the country due to issues with local taxi drivers and protests. This means that using Uber for your transportation needs might not be an option during your visit. However, there are alternatives available that can help you navigate through the cities of Morocco conveniently.
Checking Uber Availability in Various Cities
Since Uber is no longer available in Morocco, it is best to look for alternative options to get around the different cities. One popular alternative is Careem, which is the Moroccan equivalent of Uber and operates in cities such as Casablanca, Rabat, and Tangier. Careem provides similar ride-sharing services and can be accessed through their dedicated app.
Additionally, other alternatives to Uber or Careem include Roby Taxi, available in Marrakech, Casablanca, and Agadir. These taxi services offer convenient transportation options for travelers within these cities.
When checking for availability of ride-sharing services or taxis in Morocco’s different cities, it’s also worth considering that Moroccan petit taxi drivers may refuse to take more than two passengers. This can pose challenges for larger groups looking for transportation. To ensure a fair price, it is recommended to insist on the meter being turned on or negotiate a price before starting your ride.
If you prefer a more hassle-free option or need assistance with transportation arrangements, you can always reach out to your hotel. Many hotels provide pick-up services or can help arrange reliable transportation for their guests.
For example, if you’re staying in Marrakech and need to explore the city, your hotel may be able to arrange transportation for you or recommend a reputable taxi service.
Remember, although Uber is not available in Morocco, there are still viable alternatives that can cater to your transportation needs. By exploring these options and planning ahead, you can ensure a smooth and enjoyable travel experience throughout the cities of Morocco.
- As of 2020, Uber is not available in Morocco due to regulatory issues that led the company to suspend operations there back in 2018.
- On the other hand, Careem, a ride-hailing service that was bought by Uber in 2019, continues to operate in major Moroccan cities like Casablanca, Rabat, and Tangier.
- As per a recent survey conducted in 2022, approximately 65% of Moroccans residing in urban areas prefer using traditional taxis or public transportation over ride-hailing apps.
See Related: Top Places to Visit in Europe You Can’t Miss in 2024
Alternatives of Uber in Morocco
If you’re planning a trip to Morocco and wondering if you can rely on Uber for convenient transportation, we have some news for you. As of 2023, Uber is not available in Morocco due to certain challenges and issues faced by the company in the past. However, fret not! There are alternative ride-sharing apps that you can use to navigate the bustling streets of Moroccan cities.
Some popular alternatives to Uber in Morocco include Careem, Roby, Heetch, and Yassir. Each of these platforms has its own unique features and coverage areas, ensuring that you can still enjoy the convenience of on-demand rides during your stay in Morocco.
Features of Ride-sharing Apps like Careem and Heetch
When it comes to ride-sharing apps like Careem and Heetch, they offer services that are similar in nature to Uber. These platforms operate in major Moroccan cities like Casablanca, Rabat, and Marrakech, providing an accessible means of transportation for both locals and tourists alike.
One notable feature of Careem is that it operates in several cities worldwide, making it a trusted option for international travelers. It offers various vehicle options ranging from economy cars to premium rides, allowing you to choose according to your preferences and budget.
Heetch, on the other hand, focuses specifically on urban areas within Morocco. It aims to provide reliable transportation solutions by connecting passengers with local taxi drivers. This ensures that you are using licensed taxi services rather than private drivers.
Both Careem and Heetch offer user-friendly interfaces that allow you to book rides easily through their mobile apps. They also prioritize safety measures by implementing driver background checks and enabling real-time tracking of your journey.
While these ride-sharing apps may not be as widely recognized as Uber, they have gained popularity and built trust among locals and visitors in Morocco. So rest assured that you’ll still have access to convenient and reliable transportation options during your time in the country.
See Related: Best Places to Visit in Germany
Pricing for Ride-sharing in Morocco
When it comes to ride-sharing in Morocco, the pricing structure may vary depending on the service provider and the city you are in. It’s important to note that Uber does not operate in Morocco since February 2018. However, there are alternative options available such as InDriver, Roby, Heetch, Careem, and Yassir. These services generally offer competitive rates compared to traditional taxi services.
Let’s take a closer look at some of the popular ride-sharing services available in Morocco and their pricing models.
For example, InDriver operates in major cities like Marrakech, Casablanca, and Rabat. With this service, you search for the closest driver and can negotiate your fare directly with them. This allows for potential savings as drivers may offer lower prices than traditional taxis.
Similarly, Roby exclusively works with registered Moroccan taxis. Through the app, you can order a taxi and pay online with a flat fee of MAD 15 ($1.5). The prices are based on state rates and don’t change depending on supply and demand.
Heetch is another option operating in Casablanca, Rabat, and Marrakech. It charges drivers a commission per ride and is considered one of the cheapest options for locals.
Additionally, Careem is a ride-hailing app operating in several Moroccan cities. Although it was acquired by Uber in March 2019, it continues to expand its services independently.
Yassir is an Algerian-based ride-hailing app that expanded to Morocco in 2019. It offers taxi reservations specifically at night when other transportation options might be limited.
It’s worth mentioning that prices for ride-sharing services may fluctuate due to factors such as distance traveled, time of day or night, and the level of demand. It’s recommended to familiarize yourself with the specific pricing details and any potential surcharges that may apply.
Now that we have a better understanding of the pricing structure for ride-sharing in Morocco, let’s turn our attention to ensuring safety while using these services.
See Related: Largest Islands in the World to Visit in 2024
Ensuring Safety While Using Ride-sharing Services in Morocco
While ride-sharing services can provide convenience and efficiency, it’s essential to prioritize safety when using them, especially in unfamiliar territories like Morocco. Here are some key tips to ensure a safe ride-sharing experience:
- Verify Service – Confirm that the ride-sharing service you are using is legitimate and approved by local authorities. Stick to reputable apps or services with positive user reviews and ratings.
- Check Driver Details – Before getting into the vehicle, verify the driver’s details such as their name, license plate number, and photo. Ensure they match the information provided by the app or service.
- Share Trip Details – Let a trusted friend or family member know about your trip details, including the estimated time of arrival and your destination. You can also use the sharing feature within some ride-sharing apps to share your trip status in real-time.
- Monitor Route – Stay vigilant during the ride and ensure that the driver is following the intended route. If you notice any deviations or suspicious behavior, trust your instincts and speak up or take appropriate action.
- Use Physical Safety Features – Utilize physical safety features like seat belts and child safety seats if available in the vehicle. Maintain a secure hold on personal belongings throughout the journey.
- Leave Feedback – After completing the ride, provide feedback and rate your experience through the app or service. This helps maintain accountability within the ride-sharing network and contributes to overall safety improvement.
By adhering to these precautions, you can enhance your level of safety while enjoying the benefits of ride-sharing services in Morocco.
- Most Romantic Getaways in the World: Destinations for Couples
- Best Nature Destinations Around the World
- Best Spring Break Destinations in the US